Epic’s New Revenue Model for Developers
In a strategic move to lure more developers, Epic Games introduces a tantalizing proposal. They’re giving developers of qualifying games and apps a full 100% of net revenue for an exclusive period of six months on their platform. Following this period, developers still pocket a whopping 88% of their project earnings, leaving just 12% for Epic.
Exclusions and Clarifications in the Offer
While the offer seems stellar, it’s vital to note what “net revenue” entails. An Epic representative clarified to Engadget that this doesn’t account for aspects like taxes and refunds. The good news? Epic shoulders payment processing, CDN fees, and other minor charges.
Enhancing Visibility with Epic First Run
Beyond revenue, Epic ensures their platform’s colossal user base – a reported 68 million monthly active users – will be acquainted with new games and apps. Joining the “Epic First Run” program grants these offerings prime positions, exclusive badges, and inclusion in special collections and promotions. The only catch? Eligibility is exclusive to products launching post-October 16th and those not already linked with third-party PC stores.
Current Landscape and Epic’s Edge
In an industry where competitors like Valve demand a 30% cut from Steam sales, Epic stands out. Their generous revenue split, coupled with the allure of heightened visibility, might entice more creators to embrace Epic’s exclusivity.